Monday, August 4, 2014

1,000 Miles

Another trip under our belts this weekend. We took off right after work Thursday and stayed overnight in Salem. We decided to take a different path to our destination, heading over towards the coast instead of taking I-5. We had nothing but time.
 
Due to a country music festival (Read: Brad Paisley, Dirks Bentley and Eric Church) near Bandon this weekend, and my procrastination in getting a room reserved near our family, we stayed in Coos Bay, which is an hour from our family's place in Port Orford. I have a high school friend who moved to Coos Bay last year so I did  not mind staying there at all as we got to have breakfast with her Saturday morn. What a joy to catch up with her! I've noticed things always work out the way they are supposed to. Leaving Sunday morning from Coos Bay shaved an hour off an otherwise 10 hour driving day. It all matters.
 
At Cape Arago
The family reunion was wonderful and although it is a long 500 miles to get there, the road weariness drops away the very moment I see my cousins! We're lucky they have opted to host the gathering every year on their property. One of my cousins is married to a fisherman and you know what that means, right?  Fish fry!
 
This year they added oysters to the table. My husband never quit smiling and I'm pretty sure he had his yearly quota of the slimy stuff this weekend. I saw the guys eating them for breakfast. Whattup with that?  
 
While some of my favorite cousins (I'm not naming names!) were not there this year, I got to meet some new family. My cousin G's longtime lady is very sweet and she has the most awesome border collie ever! I spent most of Saturday throwing a ball for her. There were also some of the most super cute kids with the best manners I've seen in a long time.
 
I got to ride in the back of a Ford pickup truck with the kids as we headed to the beach for some fun time. Skipper, the other border collie, rode in the back with me and for a minute I was 13 again.  You can't buy that!
 
I hope wherever you are that you had a great weekend.
 
love, susan
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...