Monday, May 20, 2019

Monday Upsides: Don't Stop This Train


Book Club was on my mind this morning as I was walking my dogs. We recently read Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. I had heard it before (audible) but if I haven't said this before, the beauty of getting old is that everything is new. Movies, books, conversations. My memory is not what it used to be. I loved this book the first time I listened to it and I loved it again this time. If you are a creative, this book will speak to you.
 
One of the questions we discussed in book club was what inspires you? I'm not very quick with my answers to questions like that. Seasons inspire me in different ways. I'm inspired in the dark winters to write more. Summer light causes me to spend a lot more time outdoors with my camera, where I see everything. But on my morning walk today, it came to me that music is an all-season inspiration for me. I listen to a set playlist every morning on my walks until I can't stand it any longer and change it up. John Mayer, Van Halen, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Seger, etc.
 
John Mayer wrote a song that I identify with called Stop This Train. I'll leave you with my favorite lines from this song below but they are even better when he is singing them. I'm his number one fan.
 
Monday Upsides:
  • This is my last working Monday. We have a holiday next week and the 31st is my last working day. It's getting very real.
  • The sun is shining today.
  • My cactus are blooming.
  • I am back into my Bright Lines Eating book. I've gained 23 lbs. since last July. I am not a quitter so I am simply back at it ... one day at a time.
  • At least I have stretchy skirts I still fit into.
  • All my medical insurance cards have arrived. We are covered!
Stop this train (John Mayer)
I want to get off and go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
But, honestly, won't someone stop this train?
 
So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game
To find a way to say that life has just begun
Had a talk with my old man
Said, "Help me understand"
He said, "Turn sixty-eight
You'll
Had a talk with my old man
Said, "Help me understand"
He said, "Turn sixty-eight
You'll renegotiate"
"Don't stop this train
Don't for a minute change the place you're in
And don't think I couldn't ever understand
I tried my hand
John, honestly, we'll never stop this train"
 
love, susan

2 comments:

  1. I read Big Magic three years ago and took copious notes. In one section, she writes about fear as though they are going on a road trip... "Dearest Fear: Creativity and I are about to go on a road trip together..." Well, sometimes I re-read that "letter" and insert "depression" instead of "fear". It helps me keep going.

    I'm excited for your upcoming retirement and adventures!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...