Sunday, June 17, 2012

Where Do Butterflies Go?

Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.   
                              ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

This butterfly had an antenna missing or we would not have had a chance to really examine his beauty. The place where we  camped was filled with amazing butterflies and beautiful moths. They would arrive in the morning and flitter around until early afternoon, leaving us to ask where do butterflies go?
  
When we arrived at the Tucannon River campsite, I was careful to leave all my expectations at home. We had never been there before, however, we have been a lot of places and camped in some areas that are truly hidden treasures. It wouldn't be fair to make comparisons.

What I always discover while camping is that if I sit quietly, 
happiness does really find me.  
 
One of my very good friends made a comment at camp that might possibly be the most profound thing I've heard in a long time.  I was telling her the one thing I dislike about camping is the cooking.  I try to think of things that I can make ahead and simply reheat at camp. She agreed with me that the worst part is the cleanup but she added, "yeah, but if you just do a little cleanup here and there, it's not so bad".   

She's so right. 

So, I have all this stuff to put away from camping.  I guess I'll go do a little bit.  :-)

Hope you had a happy weekend wherever you are.


love, susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...