Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Gig is Up

Well, my summer gig is up. I'm going back to work this morning. I'm ready. Summer has been way more fun than I could have ever dreamed and like all good things, it has come to an end for now.

I landed a job through a temp agency and I will be working out at the Washington Hanford Closure. Hanford is a mostly decommissioned nuclear production complex operated by the U.S. federal government.  I don't know jack about nuclear stuff but my job will be in document control regarding the closure. I am imagining sitting at a desk with two screens and indexing documents ... all day.

I will be working 4 10-hour days with Fridays off at least until December. I'm anxious about figuring the schedule and how I will fit into it but I think it will be just a matter of a couple of days to get on schedule. 

I am ready to get back to work. I've been restless and wandering about my house aimlessly for the last two weeks.  I need a purpose.  My purpose all summer has been to plan one outing after the next and when there aren't any more outings, then what? 

We do have one more big camping trip planned to the coast so I'm looking forward to that.

Have a great day everybody! Get to work!!


love, susan

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to the restlessness that you speak of. When I was laid off a couple of years ago and had some free time to spare, thanks to a decent severance, I ended up aimlessly wandering too. Everyone I knew was working and couldn't spend time entertaining me throughout the day.

    I hope your first day on the job went well. You're a trooper for doing the 10 hr shifts. By 3pm I'm usually so antsy to leave work that I can't stand it (my workday starts at 8am). Maybe with a 3 day weekend in exchange it would be more tolerable, but I haven't ever had that kind of schedule so I couldn't say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The government offices in Utah have returned to a 5 day weekday,staring this week (or next?). Not sure why.

    Good luck with your job! (By the way, my husband used to serve on a nuclear submarine while in the Navy!)

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...