Monday, August 12, 2019

Currently

Outside My Window ...  we had clouds and rain yesterday, which is unusual for this time of year. It did clear up in the afternoon and today is a most beautiful day in eastern Washington. Temps this week are 84, 85, 93, 91, and 87. Not too bad.
 
Pondering ... we got some great news last week that I can now share. My son and daughter-in-law have been in an adoption pool just a little under a year now. They were supposed to leave for a trip to South Africa yesterday but early last week they were chosen to become parents to a newborn baby boy. Naturally, they cancelled their trip. Baby was born prematurely and won't be able to leave the hospital NICU until October but they are going to visit him every day from now until then. Because of the pending adoption, I am unable to share photos but I can tell you that he is beautiful and it's just about all I can think about right now. Dreams do come true.
 
Watching ... while I am dog sitting for good friends, I am continuing watching Orange is the New Black on Netlfix. I'm in Season 3 right now. I have 3 more days of dog sitting and I think I'm going to make it through the rest of the seasons. I have tenacity.
 
Reading/Listening ... I picked up where I left off on the book called Heavy: An American Memoir by Kiese Laymon. It is heavy. That's about all I can say about it right now. I've got many books on my Audible app that I need to listen to. I think I'll start listening to books rather than podcasts on my future walks because a) I'm using up too much data when I listen to the podcasts, and b) I need to listen to the books I paid for already. I discontinued my membership in Audible for the time being because I've got enough books to last me for months.
 
Podcasts ... I have no recommendations this week. I listened to 10% Happier, Here's the Thing, and Armchair Expert but nothing stood out as mentionable. That's how I know I need to switch over to listen to Audible for awhile. Sometimes the guests on these podcasts are people I am just not interested in hearing. Would love to know if you have a favorite podcast you would recommend in the comments below.
 
Eating ... I am still doing the 31 Day Oatmeal Challenge. But in full disclosure, I did not eat oatmeal this morning. I am housesitting and although they have oatmeal in the cupboard, I didn't have the other things that I like to go with it. I'm remedying that today so I can have oatmeal the next 3 mornings. It may seem like a silly challenge but it helps me stay on the right path to good diet.
 
This week ... My car is going into the shop tomorrow for a warning light that needs investigated. Dog sitting. Continued clean up and repairs at my house.
 
Favorite thing ... I've been through a couple pair of ear phones because I have a hard time finding the most comfortable ones. I finally found the perfect set and I would genuinely be upset if I lost these. I'm glad I photographed them so if I ever do lose them, I should be able to replace them. I'm the biggest creature of habit so I put them in the same place when I'm not using them. Still, I am surprised I still have these after a year plus of owning them. They are on my Top 10 list of favorite things.
 
Embracing ... I have been a volcano lately due to some unmet expectations of other people. I am not embracing the anger but I am using it to power through some hard conversations. I am not comfortable when I am mad but it gets me off the passive side of things and into action. Ugh. I don't know where the middle ground is in all of it. Just call me passive aggressive and that would be accurate. Oh, well.
 
Quote ... “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...