Monday, June 20, 2016

Monday Morning Musings

My newest co-worker at my job asked me last week how often I post to my blog. When I first started blogging, I  posted every day. It seems like I had a lot more to say in 2010. As of today, I have 651 published blog posts. I told her that I try to write when I have something to say. Seems lately I haven't had much to say but her question led me to a discussion about how creativity never dies. It lays dormant. Creativity is a muscle that must be exercised.

It isn't that I don't have much to say, trust me on that. It is an election year for criminy sakes.

You wanna know what's been on my mind lately?

Retirement.

Doing something besides clocking in 40 hours a week is all I have been thinking about since a year ago when my lifelong friend (you know who you are) retired.

Don't get me wrong, please. I love love LOVE the job I go to every day. It is like no other place and my work days fly by. I get to interact with the most interesting people and no two days are alike. I'm continually amused by members of the public and wish I could write about it.

Some things I see on a daily basis are so sad that I just have to leave it there when I shut the door behind me at 5:00pm. Some things are funny. Some things are stupid. Some things are just downright precious.

One day a darling little boy was in our lobby where we keep children's books for their entertainment. He looked at my co-worker and said, "you know what make this place better?  Snacks!"  Or, something to that effect.

For now, I'll keep rising and getting myself to that place where we help people get to better lives. I'm glad to be a part of that. I'm torn between helping others have a better life and making sure I make the best of my own.

love, susan

 

4 comments:

  1. Just reading your bog makes me want to take another trip your way..gosh I miss you and Gene. Love you both Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been here several times. Just to look. In wonder. We took the scenic route home on the Grand Parkway. On the way, I saw some of the same colors as the sun slowly sank. I don't recall ever having seen such a yellow between the Earth and sky before; JC only saw the red, orange and blue, but that gorgeous yellow was definitely there. Like a miracle. Or a reminder. So. I had to come for one more look. If I ever saw such flowers . . . I don't know what I'd do.

    Yes I do. I take their picture too.

    Writing is always better when you have something to say. Small talk is a waste of words, but even one liners can tell a story. Like "love, susan." That says you're sending out everyday love. The kind that includes the whole world without even thinking about it. The lowercase s is the same as "There's no big I, or little you."

    Do you notice how God wakes us with a blast of color, then gives us to grand show before the sun says goodnight? Same colors, huh? :) Sunset is just the sun retiring. And it does not go gently. LOL!

    You are cool, susan with the little ess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? When I decided to make my signature, this is exactly what I had in mind. I love that you get/got it. I am simply a dot in the matrix of color. I have no idea who is in charge of sunrises and sunsets but my hat is off to the grand designer of all things sunshine.

      So much on my mind. It's coming. Just you wait!

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...