Friday, July 25, 2014

Best Forever Friends (Part 2)

ON FRIENDS
Some time ago I wrote a post on best forever friends. Before this summer is over, I will have seen quite a few friends and family from my past. 

At the end of this week, I'll be sharing a cup of coffee with a woman who was one of my very best friends in high school. We've kept in touch by email and FB over the years. I cannot remember the last time I saw her in person. She happens to now live in the little coast town where we'll be staying for my cousins' reunion. How lucky am I? 

ROAD TRIPS
In September, another high school BFF is flying from Juneau directly into our itty bitty airport where I'll pick her up and we'll be taking a road trip to Montana to spend a couple days with another friend we haven't seen in many moons. I haven't seen my Juneau friend since her wedding day 12 1/2 years ago. I'm super excited to see her and the road trip is like a big, fat cherry on top. It won't be the first road trip we've taken together. When I lived in Alaska, we traveled from Anchorage (or was it Fairbanks?) to a gold mine where another high school friend was living and working. I had never been to a gold mine before so besides seeing our school mate, it was an exciting adventure. I've since lost the photos from that trip. Darn it.

WHAT DO YOU DO
What prompted this post is that recently my step daughter was talking about missing her class reunion. She still lives in the same town where she graduated. Even so, she didn't recognize most of the names of people she graduated with. She has a handful of good friends she has kept up with and spends time with on a regular basis. She has been a shining example to me of how to keep those friendships alive. We decided attending a class reunion is a lot about comparing notes on our station in life. Who needs that?

FRIENDS REALLY ARE THE FLOWERS IN LIFE
I never expected that I would stay in touch with old friends so long. I moved away from my little hometown where I graduated from high school and pretty much never looked back. Not to get all gushy but friends really are the flowers in my life. I have a big field of them and each one is special. I don't really care much what they do for a living, I am far more interested in how they are living. 

Have you reconnected with anyone lately? I'd love to hear about it!

love, susan

6 comments:

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...