Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bits and Pieces

Portland traffic on Friday at 5
In the past, winter has always been a time for slowing down for us but that doesn't seem to be the case this season ... so far. We took a nice trip over to Grand Ronde, Oregon last weekend to celebrate one of my favorite cousin's 50th birthday. It was to be a surprise party but he wasn't surprised. I love that about him. He just couldn't feign surprise but he was super happy we all came and that's what counted. I reunited with relatives I haven't seen in 20+ years. A super nice day.
 
All of November I've been playing the Minimize Game. It started on the 1st and the object of the game is to minimize my household belongings by the number of the day. By the end of November, my household will be minimized by 465 items. I've kept up and it has been a blast! No item is too big or too small to count. I imagine by the time I get to November 30, I'll be throwing out recycling rubber bands and paperclips. No matter. It has really opened my eyes to the junk I allow to come through the front door and the stuff I hang onto for no apparent reason.
 
My next project, which I hope to start in December, is to make copies of all important documents and photos to place in a portable file carrier that I can quickly pick up and take in case of an emergency. I also want to put together a box containing non-perishable food items and water for the same purpose. It will likely take me the entire month of December to get it together but these kinds of projects tend to help me focus on something rather than the cold, dark days.
 
What do you do to make the winter days bearable? 
 
love, susan

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a November clean-out. I did some reorganizing, donating, and recycling. Wish I had thought to count the items each day. 465 less items in a month...way cool. I thought 365 less in a year was a lot! :)

    November is NaNoWriMo...National Novel Writing Month. Those who register attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in one month (first draft quality of course). My daughter has been doing this and has made great progress...she's going to reach the goal. She hasn't minded the winter or weather...she's been busy writing.

    Since I am not into novel writing, I selected some other writing projects to focus on, and also focused on making my creative space more inviting (thus the reorganizing projects). But I've neglected my blogs this month. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the clean-out has been fantastic, just what I needed to stay motivated! I probably will do another one in March or April.

      I cannot imagine how long it would take to write 50,000 but if my math is correct, that is 1,666 words a day. Like my minimize game, easy the first part of the month but gets increasingly difficult. Finishing is the reward!!!

      I'm also still cleaning up my office area. Never quit ... that's my motto!!!

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...