Friday, April 26, 2019

Upsides: Crack Coffee

I missed my Monday upsides this week due to a dog sitting job. I wasn't home for 9 days. It doesn't mean I didn't have upsides. There are always upsides.
 
The best upside at the top of my list is I only have 35 days to retirement. Dude! This last 6 months has been long. I told a friend at work that May 31st is like a due date for a baby. I've been growing this baby and imagine what it's going to look like, what I'm going to name it, how I'm going to raise it, spend time with it, nurture it, etc.  
 
The other upside is that my replacement has arrived at the office and I am starting the training process. It is a gift that we get to have her to train rather than hiring someone after I am already gone. I have already started the process of knowing that on my last day, as I walk out the door, I need to let go. Easily said. We'll see how that works out. I'm pretty good at letting go out on a daily basis. Nobody is more ready to spend her days differently than I am.
 
About the cup of coffee pictured here. Last night my friends, hubby, and I went on the local annual taco crawl and our last stop was at a fairly new Cuban restaurant. We had no idea it existed. They are only serving tacos for this crawl, which I think is a brilliant marketing plan because it got us there. After finishing our tacos, the owner came to our table and offered us a cup of coffee on the house. Imagine my surprise when he brought us these "demitasse" cups of jo. I knew it would be strong but was not prepared for the slight sweetness and hint of chocolaty flavor. This coffee is to die for. I was up most of the night. We shall call it crack coffee. Definitely going back to this place for dinner sometime. They serve a root plant called yuca (Cassava) so I think I can fit into my plant based plan.
 
Another upside is that today is Friday. Next week it will be May. My birthday is at the end of May and I plan to call it my birthday month. I'll be 60 and I am a little giddy about that. I plan to milk it!
 
Gotta go now and get my day on.
 
Have you ever had a Cuban coffee or yuca? What are your upsides today? Tell me!
 
love, susan

2 comments:

  1. I need to work 30 years to become retired! :(

    I didn't try Cuban coffee. Have you ever tried Turkish coffee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have tried Turkish coffee just once. We had a restaurant where I live that wasn't open very long but we were lucky enough to have dinner there one night so we tried the coffee. It was strong but not sweetened. I think coffee is consumer differently in other countries. We tend to drink it by the 8 or 10 oz. servings here in America. I like the idea of sipping stronger, less portioned spots of coffee throughout the day.

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...