Saturday, March 21, 2020

Deep Thoughts and a Chili Recipe

Someday you’ll understand.

The Great Depression.

Boomers everywhere have heard their parents say, “they went through the depression”. Cottage cheese containers piled up under the sink. Ziploc bags, aluminum foil, cloth diapers rinsed and reused. The crust at the end of each loaf of bread got tucked away in the freezer to make stuffing later. Never waste a single thing. Bread ties piling up in the drawer. Denim patches on our jeans. Sometimes baking soda in place of tooth paste. Making ends meet. We’ll make do. Put another potato in the oven, company is coming. Freeze the cheese. Freeze the milk. All these things met with my sarcastic eye roll. Until this week.
....

Today I hung my laundry up to dry because it just felt like the thing to do today. I don’t have anywhere to be and I didn’t really want to hear the sound of the dryer. Some people don’t even have a dryer. A trip to the store this morning was a startling wake up call and a slight glimpse of what it would be like to want something that could not be had. There were many bare shelves and a somber mood among shoppers. My friend and I divided and conquered our shopping lists. We’re good for a couple of weeks now. Lots of ideas for making food ahead. I’m loving the new ideas for using what we have.

My friend made this beautiful chili today and it will serve us two meals. The colors are so appealing to me and it definitely fell into the comfort food category. We make a good team in the kitchen. Sometimes she cooks and I clean up, and vice versa. Just want to share this recipe with you. What comfort foods are you making right now? Have you been thinking about your people who lived through the depression? What kinds of things did you learn from your parents about the Great Depression that have stuck with you? Tell me.  Love, Susan 




Chicken Chili

Cooked chicken
1 can of Cream of Mushroom (or chicken)
2 cans white (Great Northern) beans
1/2 chopped onion
1 jar Salsa Verde
Optional: 
Canned green chilies
Or pickled jalapeno
THROW IT ALL IN A CROCK POT AND LET IT SIMMER.

Toppings (Optional)
Cheese
Tortilla chips
Sour cream
Avocado
Jalapeno
Peppers
Cilantro
Squeeze of lime 


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...