Sunday, December 1, 2019

December: This and That

Hello friends. Just checking in and making sure I still know how to type. I have been a slacker in all things lately, writing most of all. Journaling has gone to the wayside, photography has been minimal. For no particular reason, I've been like a ship with no rudder since we moved to Arizona. At least, it feels that way.
 
We've been here 6 weeks now. Those first couple of weeks were filled with too many things to do. Besides getting the water and electricity switched over, there was getting our medical records transferred, dental appointments for the hubs, property business, finding a new hairdresser, etc. Every day I've had things to do. I got my library card renewed, found some new thrift stores, signed up to volunteer at Helping Hands, and developed a walking route with my youngest dog.
 
Remi and Missy
This last week, our old girl, Missy, has gone downhill in health. She's not eating and is moving very slowly. I suspect she is in the process of dying. The best we can figure, she is about 14 years old. She is still drinking water and holding her bowels but last night she threw up at 2am. She is preferring to lay outside by herself these days. I have been remembering an old German shepherd we had when I lived in Fairbanks. He was a great family dog who never strayed from home but when it was time to die, he took off. We never found him. I remember my parents saying that sometimes dogs do that, they go somewhere quiet to die. I'd like to think Missy just wants some quiet time to think about her life and die in peace. Is it awful that I wish for her to simply slip over to the Rainbow Bridge in her sleep? I have bouts of sadness thinking about life without her but I also know this is part of the deal.
 
This week I have two volunteer transports for Helping Hands. I pick up elderly people and take them to doctor appointments. I am also helping set up a huge yard sale for Helping Hands ... 1,250 tables of stuff. It takes a week to set up this giant fundraiser. They put me in "knickknacks" to help. I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest volunteer there, which is inspiring. Old people helping old people. It's pretty cool! The best part of this organization is that they have a singleness of purpose and they are very good at what they do. I'll write more about that in a post this month.
 
Well, that's about it for now. I am 13 days away from going to meet my new grandbaby in Denver. Can I just tell you how hard it has been to not be a future tripper? I am not able to share photos just yet because the adoption process is not complete. I can tell you that LP (little person) is thriving and just may be the cutest baby on the planet!
 
And, oh, the house in Washington sold and we closed early last week. What a relief to check that off the "to do" list.
 
Final thought before I close ... I've been trying to reel in my thoughts but it hasn't worked so far. I'm glad to be back in the land of warmer weather and blue skies. I am amazed at how busy I have stayed since moving here. I spend a lot of time outdoors watching the hummingbirds come and go. It's all good.
 
love, susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...