Monday, December 19, 2016

Only Two Days to Solstice: My Life List

What's on my mind is two more days to the shortest day of the year. Time to do a year-end review of my life and that is only two weeks away. What's really on my mind is ... here she goes ... I'm tired of the name calling that has become the norm this political year. I am so disgusted with some of the words used to describe my political bent by so-called friends and family. If you think this is whining, you're one of those people I'm talking about. Stop it. You look uneducated when you talk this way. Please. Just stop. It's on both sides of the aisle. It's not just the other side. Did your mama raise you to talk about people this way?
 

See that white finger? This is what Raynaud's Syndrome
looks like. This is my hubby's finger that turned
completely cold just sitting in the house. Very painful.
What I learned this week is that heat pumps cannot keep up with extremely cold weather. Our temps dropped down to minus 4 on Saturday. Our indoor temp can barely hold at 53. Luckily, we have an oil radiator heater that kept our bedroom toasty warm. The weather will pass this week and we'll survive. Also, my hubby learned on Google that he can massage his finger to get the blood flow to it when it goes cold. (see photo) He has Raynaud's Disease. This is why we no longer ride motorcycles.

My weekend was interesting. I housesat for friends who are moving to the west side. They have three dogs, seven birds, and two chickens. We have had frigid weather so the water container kept freezing and I had to go out and change it a couple of times so the chickens didn't dehydrate. I know zero about chickens and I worried a lot about them. While I trekked in the snow out to the coop, I liked imagining I was a farmer's wife taking care of the morning chores. I am up before the chickens. This qualifies me, right?

A peek into this week
  • Survive this cold weather
  • Squeeze 40 hours of work into 32
  • Attend an adoption on Friday morning
  • Attend a potluck Friday afternoon
  • Maybe travel for Christmas depending on weather 
Quote 
Happiness isn't having what you want, 
it's wanting what you have.
 
One final thought I miss Arizona.
 
love, susan

8 comments:

  1. I once worked with a nurse who had Raynaud's disease. Very painful for her! Love your quote. Thank is so true! I really need to work on that. It is cold here too! We are looking at a reprieve and then right back to cold temps. Merry Christmas Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered one of the attorneys I work with had a white finger the other day and she's got it. A friend showed me her fingers after she read my blog and sure enough she has it in toes also. Oh, can you imagine it in your toes???? Hope you had a great Christmas and I'm raising my coffee cup to you for a wonderful new year!

      Delete
  2. Susan, I just discovered this on another blog I enjoy and though you might enjoy it as well: In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, and invincible summer. And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back. (Albert Camus)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE THAT! Yeah, you can take the girl out of summer but never summer out of the girl. Nice thought!!

      Delete
  3. glad you have no birds or chickens...been very sick since home...hope out of bed in a day or so..non stop sleeping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know, right? Hope you are mended by the time you have read this reply. For some reason, I didn't get notice that I had comments left for me. Just getting to them now. I deactivated my FB account for the month of January. You'll find me here or in emails. Just needed a break from it.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy about solstice and the return of the light!

    I am also so disgusted by the rudeness and name calling. I think that's why I haven't wanted to be online much lately.

    I hope you travel. We're actually joking about how a trip to HI would make us feel so much better. It's nice to dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter seems to be going by faster than most. Not sure why. We got cold weather rather early this year so it could seem really long before it's over. We bought tickets to Hawaii. We don't really start to think about until a week or two before we go. It makes it seem too far away. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete