Sunday, February 23, 2014

This Just In: Henry Ford May Have Been a Heathen

 
Do you ever go for a Sunday drive? We do fairly often. About the only obstacle between us and the road most Sundays is bad weather, thumb surgery or a heart attack.

According to Wikipeida, "the use of the automobile for the Sunday drive began in the 1920s and 1930s. The idea was that the automobile was not used for commuting or errands, but for pleasure. There would be no rush to reach any particular destination. The practice became increasingly popular throughout the 20th century."

Further, "traveling on Sunday by automobile is questioned by some (emphasis added) Christians, due to observing Sunday Sabbath. While these parties consider the activity "leisure", they do not count it as "rest". Stricter Sabbatarians consider leisure activities to be Sabbath breaking, because excluded from the three permitted categories of works of piety, mercy, and necessity. Less strict Sabbath-keepers consider leisure to be "calling Sabbath a delight". This reflects Jewish tradition, in which delighting in the day, spending freely on food, and traveling leisurely (i.e., more aimlessly and unhurriedly, and for shorter distances than one would during the week) were widely considered appropriate for Shabbat. In many Jewish traditions, driving on Shabbat is prohibited or severely restricted.

Henry Ford was an advocate of the Sunday drive. He promoted Sunday as a day of activity rather than rest because it led to the sale of automobiles."

Therefore, Henry Ford may have been a fellow heathen. And, I think he'd get a huge kick out of the fact the above-pictured Chevrolet was left to die in the middle of Nowhere, Washington. 
 
Today we headed out for a short drive, ending up in Yakima and drove the back-way home. It was uneventful except for the few pics I got out of the warm car to shoot. It's still cold here.
 
 
  

 
 
Do you go for Sunday drives?
Do you know where you are going?
Do you eat when you get there?
Do you take a thermos of hot coffee?

Leave me a comment if you feel inclined. I'd love to hear from you!

love, susan



11 comments:

  1. Love your post Susan! I remember when I was a kid the family would load up in the car and we'd go for a Sunday drive. There was one spot in the road where if you sped up really fast, you'd sail over the bump and fly; We'd be in the backseat chanting "Go faster, go faster!" and our stomachs would drop, making it feel like we were momentarily on a ride at the fair. Most Sunday drives had no particular destination, except at the end when we'd stop for an ice cream cone from a little stand at the bottom of the hill. Thanks for the memory! We should all take some time and get back into the wanderlust Sunday drive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never wore seat belts! My folks used to litter out the window before anyone thought there was anything wrong it.

      Delete
  2. The most I remember rides in the car was not being able to breath. Both my parents were heavy smokers. My eyes were red weeping and how I wanted to hang my head out the window. I am glad that smoking is not acceptable now as it was used to be. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMgosh, my folks smoked too! I was just talking with my co-workers who are very young and they were surprised when I told them that people used to actually smoke on airplanes and in their offices. Times have changed ... for the better, me thinks.

      Delete
  3. We did Sunday drives when I was a kid. We would take our two dogs and my Dad would inevitably find some dirt road that was uninhibited so we could drive down the middle and let the dogs run behind the car. I remember him letting me run behind the car too. It was fun and a great way for families to spend time together. No one had ear buds and cell phones, half the time you couldn't even get a radio signal except NPR...(wait...is that one of those parental half truths?) It remains to be fond memories for me and I find that there are times I just jump in the car and drive somewhere with my little dog and it always produces the right mood. I think well in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember that scene in Christmas vacation when they forget the dog is tied up to the car and they take off? Oh, I just got that picture in my mind reading your comment! So funny!

      Gene and I solve all the worlds problems while riding in the car.

      Delete
  4. I love your pictures by the way! You are my inspiration too Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a BLAST with my new shooter. It is awesome!

      Delete
  5. When I was a kid we would deliver eggs on Sunday after church to people on our route, so going on the "egg route" was something to look forward to. And then we'd invariably go further one of 3 directions after that! Good times. I'm too cheap to waste gas anymore, I don't drive anywhere for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your photos are magnificent too Susan! What kind of camera is that again?? I want to get a digital SLR. I'm fond of Canons but am looking at reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Nikon D3200. I've only had it a month and there is so much to learn. But like a lot of things, I just gotta get out there and try it. So glad you enjoyed my pics!

      Delete